Thursday, February 04, 2010

millet and my February resolution

I made my morning breakfast cereal from the millet I cooked in the steamer yesterday, and I'm not too crazy about the texture, honestly. It may be due to the strange way I cooked it (multiple times in the steamer). Being it was my first time cooking it other than tossing it in soup, it well may just be technique. However, I picked up some quinoa (a grain from South America that has no gluten and is SUPER healthy) in bulk at HEB grocery store yesterday ($2 a bag - so cheap!) and tomorrow I'm going this recipe I found - Quinoa-Millet Hot Cereal: A Yoga Inspired breakfast.

What I put on my millet breakfast version this morn: dried blueberries (bought in bulk at HEB - I LOVE Bulk foods!), 1 chopped prune, 1 chopped date, a few chopped pecans cinnamon sprinkles, ground flax seeds, and a touch of maple syrup. I read recently - in Vegetarian Times mag, no big surprise, that pecans have the highest antioxidant level of any nut - and they're the nut I happened to have in my freezer! The flavor of the cereal is good, I only wish it was more gooey like oatmeal, which I love but oats have gluten. So I think the quinoa added to the millet will make it a bit more like oatmeal. We'll see! Later today I'm going to make stir-fried millet using a Zen stir-fried rice recipe. Yummo! Hope it turns out...

I'm off to my Experiencing God bible study this morning. I am really enjoying it. It's only my second week in class, since I missed the first few, but am all caught up in the workbook.

Having successfully achieved what I wanted to with my January clean-purge resolution, I am moving on to my February resolution - work on what comes out of my mouth. I have a lifelong tendency to swear when I'm mad... It waxes and wanes, and often depends on who I hang out with. I'm also sometimes impatient - with myself, with others but to those closest to me... so I'm working on addressing issues calmly and kindly, seeking the Lord in all of these things to draw on His power and strength and not my own. So with that I will leave you with some bible verses I found related to the tongue.

Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16: 24

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. Proverbs 10: 19-20

A fool shows his annoyance at once but a prudent (wo)man overlooks an insult. Proverbs 12:16

Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18

He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity. Proverbs 21:23

My dear brothers, take note of this. Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires. James 1:19

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. James 3:3-10

No comments: