Friday, February 03, 2012

My first tofu scramble

Tofu Scramble

I modified the following recipe from Kris Carr's recipe on Mightybell). It was really good!

• 2 T olive oil
• 1 container (organic!) firm tofu crumbled
• 1 leaf Swiss chard, chopped into strips
• ½ cup caramelized or sautéed onions
• ½ cup sun-dried / cured tomatoes diced (Do not forget this! It made the dish)
• ½ cup Mushrooms (I used a combination of Shiitake and Portabella)
• ¼ cup nutritional yeast (this was too much for me - I'd reduce it by about half to 1/8 c)
• 1 T tamari or shoyu (I used tamari)
• ½ tsp coarse sea salt
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp Herbes de Provence

Some of the ingredients! I get sun-dried tomatoes at my grocery store super cheap - that bag is about $2.99 I think. Organic tofu is not any more than non-organic. And I had some dried mushrooms that I rehydrate. Save the liquid and use later for recipes! Shiitake mushrooms have weight reducing properties.

Tamari is soy sauce without wheat (hence, gluten free). I've been cooking with shoyu, a high quality soy sauce but am trying to go gluten free again for a while. Nutritional or Brewer's yeast kind of tastes like Parmesan cheese (it's great on popcorn). And turmeric is praised for its health properties!! I get that and the herbes de provence (in the tiny bag) in bulk at my grocery store uber-cheap! I have no info on what olive oil is better... I actually want to do some research into cooking oils... anyone have any insight?

Directions: In a hot sauté pan, add oil. Add chard and crumbled tofu. Cook on high heat for 3 minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Continue to cook for 3‐5 minutes. Right before serving, add a handful of fresh chopped basil (if I had it, I'd have done this - I LOVE fresh basil).
It was actually really good! The sun-dried tomatoes really made the dish. They went perfectly with it. The original recipe had some differences but it was great - the only thing I'd change would be to use a little less nutritional yeast. The final product looks like scrambled eggs, doesn't it?!

2 comments:

Paul Katz said...

Ooh Wendee, this looks amazing! I just found a place to get homemade tofu (quite the challenge in meat-worshipping Buenos Aires) and was trying to think of something new and creative to do with it. Your tofu scramble sounds like the perfect candidate!

Unknown said...

Thanks Paul! It was really good - just cut down on the Brewer's yeast a bit from the recipe. :) I have tons of recipes (mostly vegetarian and vegan) on my blog! You can use the search box for "recipes" and they should come up.