Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Veggies are good for you!

My lunch today was a yummy salad - romaine lettuce topped with garbanzo beans, cucumber, capers, ground flax seeds, some leftover sauteed bok choy from yesterday, and my favorite low-fat organic ginger dressing (I used to use Annie's Naturals but this is the same dressing from Whole Foods brand). I also made the Indian dish Mujadara which is Lentil, Rice, & Caramelized Onion Pilaf. I halved the recipe but here's the way it was printed in Vegetarian Times.

1 1/2 cups basmati or long-grain brown rice
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced (2 cups)
1 15-oz. can brown lentils, rinsed and drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 tsp. ground cumin

1. Bring rice, 2 1/4 cups water, and 1/4 tsp. salt to a boil in large saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes, or until rice is tender, and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 30 minutes, or until onion is soft and browned, stirring occasionally.

3. Transfer rice to large bowl, and fluff with fork. Stir in onion, lentils, parsley, thyme, lemon zest, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.

NOTES: I made my lentils from scratch rather than canned, and used a wild rice/brown rice mix that I cooked using vegetable broth in my steamer. I made the lentils using vegetable broth (rather than water too). In fact I got some bulk mixed-lentils from Whole Foods yesterday and used that instead of just brown lentils. I cooked 1 cup lentils with 1 cup broth & 1 cup water (I wouldve used all broth but I was out). It ended up slightly runny (leftover water) but good enough for government work. ;) I made the wild rice mix because I made enough so I can use the rest in another recipe - Autumn Wild Rice Rissoles.

I love love love roasted red peppers. I use this Veggie Wash to clean my fruis & veggies. Not sure how good it works... anyone know anything about it?
Just cut them into strips, add a touch of olive oil or flax oil and roast at 400. Here I combined red and yellow peppers.
Here's a photo of the collard green coleslaw! I learned that it doesn't keep well. Make a small batch as it starts to sour after about 2 days in the fridge. It's yummy and super healthy!

Washing up the collard greens! Sorry this is out of focus.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Lentils cook so fast that it's not worth using canned ones. They're not like other dried legumes that take forever to cook unless you soak them overnight. Those things get bought with all the best intentions, but never used (at least by me!)

Unknown said...

I actually cook dried beans in my crock pot. It's great because you just leave it and come back hours later and it's all done! If I had to stand by the stove I'd never do it... :)