Copyright (c) 2007 Wendee Holtcamp
I did this silly thing on Facebook (reminds me of "slam books" we had back in the day) and thought I'd share. I think I did something similar on my blog a while back but who knows where that is or what I called it.
But first... drum roll please... I wanted to link to my latest article, this one for Miller-McCune magazine; it appeared only on their website. Miller-McCune has a print magazine plus original web content and I have now written for both. I first wrote the "Save the Birds - With Doppler Radar" piece for the print mag April/May 2011 issue, and now this came out in August online "Texas Thirst for Dams Bucks National Trend." Let me know what you think! This issue is near and dear to my heart, especially given the terrible drought we are in the middle of in Houston and other parts of Texas.
100 Truths about me (it was originally 99 but my daughter changed it to 100 so I had to also!)
1. Full name: Wendee (Wendy) Nicole Holtcamp (maiden name Finlay)
2. Nickname: Wen (Daline, etc), Wiggly and Urchin (dad), Wendelheimer (Trish)
3. Zodiac Sign: Cancer
4. Male or female: Female duh
5. Elementary school: 2 different ones in Eugene, OR (1-2), 1 in Rainier, OR (3-4), one in Carrollton TX (Dale B Davis - 5,6)
6. High School: Apple Valley High School (MN - 9th), Cy-Fair High School (Cypress TX - 10-12th)
7. College: Texas A&M, Rice University
8. Hair color: Blondeish
9. Tall or short: Shortish
11. Sweats or Jeans: Jeans
12. Phone or Camera: Phone with camera XD
13. Health freak: YES! Though I eat plenty of ice cream & desserts & queso & otherwise fattening stuff.
14. Orange or Apple: Orange if a Cutie
15. Do you have a girlfriend/ boyfriend?: Usually LOL
16. Eat or Drink: ??? What does this even mean?
17. Eye color: Hazel
18. Pepsi or Coke: Coke (but I never drink either)
19. Been in an airplane: A zillion times
20. Been in a relationship: Yes duh
21. Been in a car accident: Yes
22. Been in a fist fight: No
23. First piercing: Ears have no memory of when though
25. First award: No idea! Something in elementary school I’m sure (saved in a book cuz I’m a memory packrat)
27. First word: No idea. Probably supercalifragilisticcatchbealidocious or something. Ha ha.
29. Last person you talk to in person: The lady at Blockbuster video
30. Last person you texted: Paige LaCombe J
31. Last person you watched a movie with: Myself! Before that probably Doug
32. Last food you ate: Homemade nachos
33. Last tv show you watched: Bachelorette. I don’t have a working TV and usually never watch TV shows (I do watch movies on dvd). Got addicted to Bachelorette though at the gym! Watched the finale at Dougs in early August.
34. Last song you listened to: Lose My Soul by TobyMac (KSBJ)
35. Last thing you bought: well I RENTED a movie but bought - hmm - groceries at Target.
36. Last person you hugged: Sam and Savi before they went to Taylor and Logans to swim
37. Food: Favorite?? Um… Thai food (Panang curry).
38. Drink: I love Water and coffee, but Bittersweet’s salted caramel hot chocolate is probably my fave thing (couldn’t drink it everyday)
39. Bottoms: Jeans
40. Top: I love white bohemian blouses (paired with turquoise jewelry)
41. Animal: Mountain gorilla (the furry ones with long hair) and sloths.
42. Colors: Indigo blue and forest green
43. Movies: Romantic comedies are my favorite kind. Ice Age is a movie I can watch over and over! Cracks me up! I soooo am Sid the Sloth!
44. Favorite subject: Ecology
HAVE YOU EVER: (Put an X in the brackets if yes)
45. [X] Gotten Baptized.
46. [X] Celebrated Halloween.
47. [X]Had your heart broken...
48. [X] Went over the minutes/texts on your cell phone.
49. [ ] Had someone question your sexual orientation.
51. [X ] Got pregnant.
52. [ ] Had an abortion. (I didn’t but I also don’t think this question is any of anyone’s business so if you reply don’t answer! Sheesh)
53. [X] Did something you regret.
54. [X] Broke a promise.
55. [X] Hid a Secret.
56. [X] Pretended to be happy.
57. [X] Met someone who changed your life.
58. [X] Pretended to be sick (Who hasn't?)
59. [X] Left the country.
60. [X] Tried something you normally wouldn't have tried and liked it.
61. [X] Cried over the silliest thing.
62. [X] Ran a mile.
63. [X] Went to the beach with your best friend.
64. [X] Got into an argument with your friends.
65. [X ] Dated someone.
67. Eating: Nothing
68. Drinking: Water
69. Listening to: KSBJ Christian radio
70. Sitting/Laying: Lying sideways on the couch in the living room
71. Plans for today: Go to bed! LOL! It’s 1121pm. Tomorrow? Work on grant writing stuff.
72. Waiting on: you to fill out your 100 truths … :D
73. Want kids: I always wanted a third but somehow I think the window is disappearing. :D
74. Want to get married: I am not sure
75. Career: Enviro writer and photographer; maybe in a couple years I want to return to life as a wildlife biologist studying… mountain gorillas or bears
WHICH ONE in a significant other:
76. Lips or Eyes: Eyes
77. Shorter or taller: Taller
78. Romantic or spontaneous: Romantic
81. Hook-up or relationship: Relationship
82. Looks or personality: Both but personality is more important for sure
HAVE YOU EVER:
83. Lost glasses/contact: Like every day - ha ha.
84. Snuck out of a house: About every weekend as a kid! Sad but true.
85. Held a gun/knife for self defense: No but had a gun pulled on me (not for self defense!).
86. Killed somebody: No. duh. Like anyone would answer yes.
87. Broken someone's heart: Yes
89. Cried when someone died: Yes
DO YOU BELIEVE IN:
90. Yourself: Yes
91. Miracles: Yes
92. Love at first sight: Umm… maybe infatuation at first sight that turns into love
93. Heaven: Yes
94. Dreams coming true: Absolutely! I’m assuming we mean dreams as in aspirations not night-time dreams bc it would be really weird to be flying around on a unicorn or having magical powers or something in real life
96. Kiss on the first date: Maybe
97. Is there anyone you want to be with right now: Yes (it’s a secret ha ha)
98. Do you know who your real friends are: Yes!
99. Do you believe in God: Yes
100. If you had a million dollars that you could spend on only one thing, what would you spend it on? Probably would invest it and spend the interest to form a nonprofit that could helps both the environment and the impoverished.
Last... I wanted to link to this heart-wrenchingly beautiful tribute by Paul Hawken to green biz visionary Ray Anderson. To be honest, I don't really know much about either but this is just so amazing I had to share. Memorable and inspiring quotes in this piece include:
"Before we die, may we know that to be alive is astounding, inconceivably precious, a privilege beyond reckoning. When we know and cherish this existence, the rest of our life is a shimmering field of light because we have come to recognize one unalterable truth -- that we are one with all living entities and beings, and that we are never alone." [WOW!]
"Seventeen years ago, he had a realization. At that time, Ray came home. He rediscovered a sacred earth with all its complexity, beauty, and mystery, free from the constraints of this or that ideology, free from narrow-minded thinking, and he was freed to reimagine the relationship between humanity and nature with Interface as the model."
"when we become literate in the sweet treasures of creation, there arises a sense of awe, wonder, and gratitude for one's very existence and the swirl of living beings around us."
"For Ray, reimagining the world was a responsibility, something owed to our children's children, a gift to a future that is begging for selflessness and vision."