Monday, March 08, 2010

The Bohemian!

Sunset in the bamboo forests high in the Himalayan foothills of Nepal. A few of us were setting up a "camera trap" to try to get shots of the endangered red panda and we were on a very steep side of the mountain. I remember these moments so well. One day I'll share several from the series of the sunset that evening. Wow!
Copyright (c) 2007 Wendeee Holtcamp


I just finished a draft of my article on the Houston toad. When I say draft, I've already spent a decent amount of time editing and revising. It doesn't come out perfect! As Anne LaMott says in Bird by Bird, just work on your sh*tty first draft, and go from there. You've got to quiet the internal editor the first go-round or you'll never get anything down.

I always love this point, when after hours and days of working on it it all comes together and I can put it aside for a bit. I prefer to let an article sit for a day or two, but in some cases like this one, when I"m pressing up against deadline, that's not possible. I do however have to wait for some fact-checking from some of my sources so I may get it anyway. So lucky me, I get to blog before bed! I had an exhausting 500-calorie workout and I'm about ready for sleep. Doug is putting me to shame though. In his offshore vessel they have a nice gym and he's been burning like 1,000 calories. I'm like no fair! You weigh more so you burn more calories.

I wanted to share a link to a Q&A with yours truly at The Reef Tank blog: The Bohemian. Kinda cool, if I do say so myself. Tomorrow I'll share some more recipes! I made one that was out of this world!

I know there is much more I wanted to share, but my mind is too sleepy to think straight. Oh! I know. Next week, I am heading to San Antonio for an article I'm writing on water conservation (well, sort of) and since it's the kids' spring break I decided to bring them. We went to SeaWorld in San Antonio a couple years back, but they haven't been to the Riverwalk and the Alamo and the like since they were very young. So I'll kill two birds with one stone! I get so excited in my soul for even the smallest adventure these days! I'm going to visit Government Canyon State Natural Area and hike the canyon because that plays a role in my story.

And last, I'll point you to my latest article in Texas Parks & Wildlife magazine's March issue. Unwelcome Visitors: Invasive zebra mussels can wreak havoc on ecosystems. (They've just recently been documented in Texas for the first time ever).

No comments: