Monday, October 11, 2010

Olympic National Park and Elwha dam removal

A Elwha tribe wildlife biologist took us out to see both the upper and lower Elwha dams on the Elwha River (near and in Olympic National Park, WA), which will soon be no more. Starting next year, the largest dam removal in U.S. history will begin. These are the foggy mountains in the distance.
A shot of the lower Elwha Dam. Soon salmon will be able to swim freely upstream.
The beautiful canyon and Elwha River.
Lower Elwha Dam
The upper Elwha Dams is technically called the Glines Canyon Dam. It also will be coming out.
Extreme Danger!
Gorgeous isn't it?
Driftwood, Lake Quinalt
Lake Quinalt and a giant tree!
Boats on Lake Quinalt
Gorgeous mossy temperate rainforest in Olympic National Park. More to come soon! My dad, his wife Bev and I have been exploring the park. Tomorrow we head back to their log cabin, and then Tues it's back to Portland for me!

2 comments:

My Life Outdoors said...

I love rivers...and I hate dams...I wish more dams could be removed...down here in Texas people seem to want more impoundments to create recreational lakes...(Texas only has one natural lake). And the state seems to always give in. I wish more rivers could be protected from future impoundments like the Buffalo National River in Arkansas. *sigh*

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment! I am based in Texas - did you know that?