Sunday, June 18, 2006

piece of my heart

Just as it is essential that our sight not be crippled by scientific tunnel vision, so also it is essential that our critical faculties and capacity for skepticism not be blinded by the brilliant beauty of the spiritual realm. -- M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled.

it was a really neat experience in church today. all the youth (high school) had just gotten back from their yearly colorado retreat and they sort of led the church service and shared some of the experiences, and they were so jazzed and filled with the spirit of God. it was just a joyful time, and as i prayed my mind went to the peruvian children - yashira and all those sweet little ones who live in the rainforest and who touched my heart - and the machiguenga children who were unhealthy and sick, and i just sent out a wave of love toward them.

and i thought of how all the places i've visited, the people i've met and the friends i've made they all have a place in my heart and always will. i cherish the people who have been my friends whether i presently keep in touch with them or not (and many i do). i thought of my dear friends in australia who i may be lucky enough to see again soon, and everywhere the people who have shown kindness to me. and my father, it is a day to bless and be thankful for fathers, and i had an amazing father who showered me with acceptance and taught me about reality without sheltering me from it. sending out love to all those kind souls who have been my friends over the years! and all those who i have met and who work for bettering the earth, for social justice, for wildlife, for environmental protection and for spreading the love of God and Jesus' radical message. keep on fighting the good fight!

1 comment:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I wrote a little piece after church today about the film "March of the Penguins" as our interim minister was enthusiastic about it. Posted it on geelong-visual-diary.blogspot.com
The minister was comparing the life of the male emperor penguins to our church life of huddling together, perhaps moving responsibilities around, tc.
Wendy