Saturday, January 19, 2008

reading 8 books at a time?

My Facebook profile says I'm reading 8 books, which is true. Sort of. I have my NIV Study Bible there, which I read regularly. I got Beth Moore's devotional Jesus: 90 Days with the One & Only for Christmas and I'm reading/doing that for the next 90 days. Then I have The Snow Leopard, which I started reading in Nepal because it's set there. It's a great book but a bit dense and I got a bit bored toward the end. I've got about 1/8 left and every night if I try to read it, I fall asleep after about a page. At least I don't have insomnia any more! ;) I started listening to Water for Elephants on audio-book (I listen when I go running) but I got it from the library and someone else had requested it, so I had to return the darn thing. So I'm about 2 discs in and have requested it again.

While waiting to get that back again, I started listening to The Highest Tide which is a nature writing type book based in the Pacific NW. My cousin got it for me for Christmas, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm also reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens to Sam at night. It's a pretty long and dense book, but although I adore and love my kids' school, I felt like my kids need to get a bit more of the classics. I admit I didn't read any Dickens (that I remember) in school, but I am actually enjoying it. I took them to see an Oliver Twist play a couple years ago and they really liked that. I'm reading The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron along with several girlfriends. We're doing a chapter per 2 weeks so that will take a little while. And I just picked up Ghandi's Autobiography: My Experiments With Truth. So there.

It seems my writer's block has cleared a little bit. I finished a draft of my Nepal article which I went to Nepal for (it's taken me this long to take a look at all the stuff again and get the motivation to write it). But it came out pretty quickly, and I like it. I have several articles to finish this weekend, so it's like a writing marathon! It's going to freeze tonight... brrr.... wish it would snow HERE instead of just the "southeast"!!

No comments: