Friday, August 28, 2009

Taking Woodstock - meh

Leon Dormido, or Kicker Rock, the Galapagos Islands, with the moon in the sky.
Copyright (c) 2007 Wendee Holtcamp



I'm really trying to blog a bit more, but it's one of those things where I still feel massive guilt due to the overwhelming stressof my massive book project... So I'll try to post, but they'll be shortish (if I can keep it short - ha!)

Today I had a spontaneous date with D, and we went to see Taking Woodstock. I really wanted to see The Ugly Truth, which I've heard is funny, but we went to the cheapie matinee and it was too early for us to make it. I love the 60s and 70s, since of course my dad was a hippie, I'm hippie spawn, and a "bohemian" you know. I didn't know much about it other than it was a true story of how Woodstock came to pass. Verdict - meh. It was mildly entertaining because I am interested in the topic but it was slow, it wasn't funny (I don't think it tried to be funny but it easily could have added some humor), and there was none of the awesome music that was at Woodstock. It left you with tons of unanswered questions, like what became of the main character and their parents, and the supposed possible lawsuits. Anyway, I was disappointed in the movie, but it was a GREAT day!

In writing news, I have a online writing class starting tomorrow, which is full and the deadline for signup passed, BUT... I just opened another session for Oct 17th, and if you're interested in more info, check out the website for the class or email me (email is on the website)! I designed the course to take you through everything from the writing process itself to understanding markets and magazines to writing killer queries - which is the way writers propose a story. It has worked for aspiring writers and established pros alike, as it can be tailored to each person's interests and skill levels. It's really a fantastic value and I get a lot of positive feedback from people who have taken it! Though it's technically designed for people interested in "writing green" - including conservation, science, and travel - the basics work for any topic including spiritual writing, social issues, health, or whatever topic you're keen on.

Since I said I'm keeping things short, adieu! Don't forget to visit my Animal Planet blog duirng the weekdays - Animals in the News, and here's a link to my latest article in Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine's August issue:

Larger than Life: The inimitable Edward ‘Ned’ Fritz changed the face of Texas conservation - and had influence nationwide.

No comments: