Wednesday, June 29, 2005

raging thunder lizard evangelist agents for change

Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
- Harold Whitman

In writing this book project I'm working on, I realized how painful writing can be for me. It comes out in fits and starts, particularly at the beginning. I say painful because its almost as if I'm depleting my life force by taking it from my mind and soul and putting my creative expressions in words. However I don't feel like that when I'm writing something open and free like this blog or in my journal. I think part of it is that I have complete creative freedom and expression and no deadline and no one to impress or please. I feel very attached to my creative expressive writing because its a part of me, only I can write these particular words and had these particular experiences.

Yesterday, I listened to this "community call" with Alanis Morrissette and author Cheryl Richardson (Stand Up For Your Life) and Alanis talked about how the work-horse mentality for her is such an inspiration killer, and that she'd rather go eat bonbons than work in an environment like that! I completely relate to that. She said that for her best expressive talents to come out, it was vitally important to be surrounded by people excited by the process of creating, who are non-invested in the outcome. She needed to have an environment where giddiness and joy were present. She also expressed how people around artists need to understand the sensitivity of the creative environment for the artist, and artists themselves have to be vigilant about guarding the artist spirit/inner child. This resonated deeply with me. (You can listen to the hour-long call at 405-244-4000 then punch 158).

I have had some feisty moments lately with some friendships, but I also am realizing that the fiery passion that lives in me - my protective bear spirit -- is itself my creative energy, the passion that makes me excited to live, to love, to have this and every day to write, to have friendships, to smile at the giggling of my friend's toddler when he pets our kitty, to just be excited about making things happen (these things are the manna in my day that feeds me). Our anger or rage against injustice and our voice that speaks our own truth is not something to be hidden away, it is the force that creates change - to make our lives better for ourselves, but also makes the world a better place for our children.

A colleague at work once had the official title "Raging Inexorable Thunder Lizard Evangelist Agent for Change" - Is that cool or what?! I think it is my new unofficial title, #2 in charge. Ha ha! But I'll have to add Bohemian to the title... Raging Inexorable Thunder Lizard Bohemian Evangelist Agent For Change. Or Raging Inexorable Bohemian Thunder Lizard Evangelist Agent For Change? Here is a quote from an article in Fast Company magazine: "Being a thunder-lizard is about fighting the silly notion that passion doesn't belong in the workplace. We need to harness passion."

No comments: