Friday, February 20, 2009

joys of micro-blogging

Tasmanian devil, Tasmania, Australia
Copyright (c) 2006 Wendee Holtcamp


It's funny, I was blogging all the time and now I'm not. What gives? I am chalking it up to two things. I've spent a lot of time "micro-blogging" on Facebook. And I have been writing a lot on my book. Between the two., they're taking up a lot of my time and creative energy! I like to say I'm addicted to Facebook but honestly I'm fascinated by the creative outlet. I put various quotes on my Wall that I come across there in my research on truth for my book, I post links to pages I find interesting, and post what I'm thinking or doing during the day. I have snippets of conversations with people who I probably would never keep in touch with otherwise. It's truly an amazing technology for masses of people who live far and wide, but have common interests and connections. When I need an answer to a question I can post it in my Status, and within minutes i often have an answer! Wow. I am loving it.


I've also started using Twitter (www.twitter.com/bohemianone) but I'm having a hard time quite loving it as much. I use it to update my status on facebook - and as you may have seen it also now puts my tweets to this blog, as well as my myspace page, but I don't like the Twitter interface. There are several Twitter programs people use. Anyone have any suggestions for a blackberry? There's a program called Twitterberry that I may download but I'm a bit afraid to download it and mess up my Blackberry since I don't know how to remove software...

I am writing, and revising, my chapter on truth - how we come to believe what we do. I've come across some fantastic quotes I thought I'd share here.


There are truths, that are beyond us, transcendent truths, about beauty, truth, honor, etc. There are truths that man knows exist, but they cannot be seen - they are immaterial, but no less real, to us. It is only through the language of myth that we can speak of these truths. - J. R. R. Tolkien

Only through myth, through story telling can we aspire to the life we were made for with God. To write and/or read myth was to meditate on the most important truths of life. – JRR Tolkien

"No doubt those who really founded modern science were usually those whose love of truth exceeded their love of power." -- CS Lewis, The Abolition of Man

"And then she understood the devilish cunning of the enemies' plan. By mixing a little truth with it they had made their lie far stronger." -- CS Lewis The Last Battle (this has got to be the most insightful quote ever - so apropos to intelligent design!)

"To admire Satan [in Paradise Lost] is to give one's vote not only for a world of misery, but also for a world of lies and propaganda, of wishful thinking, of incessant autobiography." --CS Lewis, A Preface to Paradise Lost

"Truth is so obscure in these times, and falsehood so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot know it." - Pascal.

No comments: