Wednesday, September 20, 2006

busy busy busy

So I was in DC quietly watching the changing of the guard ceremony at the Arlington national cemetery - supposed to be absolute silence - i was there in DC with my daughter and her teachers and class, and we're quietly watching when, like the movie cingular ad, my cell phone rings... oopsies. anyway it was good news i found out later when I called my editor back - I had won a 1st place/gold IRMA award (International Regional Magazine Association) for Best Nature Feature for my article I wrote in April 2006 issue of TX Parks & Wildlife mag on freshwater mussels "Save the Monkeyface." Cool beans. My first "award" for writing :) Well second actually but anyway, but I didn't apply for it but was nominated by someone else.

So we had a great trip and I especially loved the night tour of the monuments. I loved the FDR monument -- it is huge and has all these waterfalls and a section on "I Hate War" (one of his quotes) and I really loved it. It is a place I would love to go and just sit and reflect.

I am about sick of traveling though. I actually would not like to travel anywhere for some time! However I have 2 trips coming up. It's getting to be a bit much, and I'm feeling stressed and like I can't get caught up. I go to south TX this weekend, to Estero Llano Grande State Park and then have tons of deadlines. I can't complain, I am blessed with tons of work, but it does take a toll when it's hard to find relaxation time and the burnout is starting to creep in. well i'll try to get caught up now. I also lost my cell in DC but I am LOVING my new Smartphone that has just about everything but the kitchen sink. It has an ipod, Palm Pilot with color screen and Windows-based email and Calendar, camera/video, address book. Oh and it's a phone! :) ha ha!

No comments: