Friday, November 17, 2006

wild heart

Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed.
Maybe they need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with.
-- Carrie on Sex & the City.

I heard this quote on a Sex & The City rerun I watched last night and it really resonated with me. I have always been so restless in relationships, and life. Wanderlust, unrest, always searching. The context of this quote is that her lifelong love whom she'd dated ("Big") and broken up with, who had said he would never marry, ended up marrying someone else, and of course Carrie was devastated. She told her friends, "I broke him, and someone else gets to ride him!"

But then she started relating to this classic movie The Way We Were, where Barbara Streisand was a complex woman and she and Robert Redford had a complex love affair, and he ended up with a "simple" woman. That is the message there- some women are just too complex for some men - they just don't want the hassle of it all. And the funny thing is my friend Bill - in his inimitable Bill manner- was just saying that same thing to me in a different way: "some men just don't want to work that hard for the *****." LOL. But I think it's really true.

I love the song of Sheryl Crow "Are you Strong Enough to Be My Man" because after all, every strong woman I know has difficulty finding a man strong enough to be up for the challenge. And this is why it comes back to my statement that "It takes a damn good man to be better than no man at all."

"My soul is restless until it rests in Thee."
- St Augustine's Confessions

1 comment:

Wendee said...

And don't forget:
"Real strength is not just a condition of one's muscle, but a tenderness in one's spirit." - Mccallister Dodds

People are all so different; Simple women, simple men. Complex women and complex men. Yep, some men really don't want to work that hard; I've heard that exact quote before, too, so you figure there's something to that.

Makes the good, complex, caring, strong yet vulnerable men all the more amazing. When you find one, and he's into you, I tell ya'... Mmmmmm-mm-mm. [sigh] ;)
There's one out there for you, girl, you know it ...