Thursday, February 10, 2011

broccoli frittata and raw beet salad recipes!

I thought I'd make the recipes their own post, since they really have nothing to do with the Bering Sea.

I've been cooking a lot of great recipes, and when I get more time I will post a few of my versions. Last night I made this recipe from Cooking Light magazine - Coconut Curry (Chicken) Soup - but I made it with tempeh instead of chicken and it was great!

This is a recipe from my friend Elissa who is an awesome chef!

Broccoli frittata


2 heads broccoli
2t butter
2 small onions
1 cup water
1 ½ t salt
3 large whole eggs
9 large egg whites
½ ounce grated parmesan cheese
Olive oil


1. preheat oven to 375. cut broccoli stems into ½ “ pieces and cut florets into 1” pieces, set aside. Melt butter in a 12” sauté pan over medium head. Add onions, cook until translucent, about 5 min. add broccoli stems and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 min. add florets and water, cook until broccoli is tender and liquid has evaporated, about 5 min. salt and pepper, remove from pan to a bowl to cool completely.

2. wipe out pan, coat with olive oil. In a bowl on an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine eggs and egg whites. Beat until extremely light and frothy, about 8 – 10 min. heat pan over med-high heat. Fold parmesan and broccoli mixture into eggs. Add to pan, dot top with goat cheese. Cook, without stirring for 2 min. transfer to oven and bake until top is golden brown and frittata is set, about 30 min. let cool for 1 minute before sliding out of pan.


NOTES: I left out the cheese "Cut the cheese" - ha ha I'm so funny, and added herbes de provence - it's super yummy! I've also made it with leeks and broccoli. You can add any herb. Without cheese, it's only 150 cal/serving. Don't count on it "sliding out of the pan"... unless you coat the pan VERY well but it serves just fine out of the baking dish.


I made grated beet salad which is another great one from Vegetarian Times. It was good but not an absolute fave but very healthy, and raw. (Image is my grated beets in my Cuisinhart - the best thing ever)


2 cups grated jicama
2 cups grated raw beets (3 medium beets)
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 navel orange, peeled, sectioned, each section cut into thirds
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tbs. thawed orange juice concentrate
1 Tbs. lime juice
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
11/2 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds

1. Place beets in medium bowl along with jicama, avocado, orange, and cilantro.


2. Whisk together orange juice concentrate, lime juice, cumin, and coriander. Whisk in oil. Pour over beet mixture, and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle each serving with toasted pumpkin seeds.

I add fresh avocado to each serving, rather than put it in the salad, since avocados get brown very quickly when exposed to air. And I skipped the cilantro so my kids would try it, and pumpkin seeds to save fat calories. :)

No comments: