Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Welcome to February!

Daydream Island, Whitsundays in far north Queensland, Australia
Copyright (c) 2006 Wendee Holtcamp


Welcome to February! At the moment, far north Queensland is getting hammered by Cyclone Yasi. Category 5 when it made landfall, it was as big as Hurricane Katrina, and is expected to drop more rain. Poor Queensland can't catch a break. Brisbane in southeast Queensland got hit with intense flooding just a week ago. I'm trying to get back over there to report on the aftermath of the floods and the cyclone. Yasi hit right near Mission Beach, a quaint coastal town on the "Cassowary Coast" which I visited in 2008, and wrote this article, Saving Big Bird, for Wildlife Conservation magazine.

A couple new articles have come out. I'm proud of this essay that came out in The Daily Climate: Can eating less meat curb climate change?

And just out today - Rime of the Bering Sea Mariners in BioScience, my second piece on the trip I did last summer.

I am about to head on a road trip along the coast to report for the 10th annual Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine Water issue within the next few weeks, which should be fun.

Well that is all for now! Hopefully I'll be back before another month goes by!

No comments: