Tuesday, December 04, 2007

only love

Only love can make it rain
The way the beach is kissed by the sea
Only love can make it rain
Like the sweat of lovers laying in the fields
...
Love can bring the rain
That makes you yearn to the sky
Only love can bring the rain
That falls like tears from on high

- Love Reign O'er Me by The Who, Quadrophenia

My dad recently shared these lyrics and though I've heard the song a hundred times in my youth, it's been some time now. What beautiful lyrics. And they go on...

I recently watched the movie Gandhi which was released when I was in middle school (1982) and I never watched it, but always wanted to. What a powerful story Gandhi has, and what a great movie. I am particularly taken by his stance on non-violent resistance. Could another person like Gandhi arise today, amidst all the bloodshed and hatred? I'm not sure. Looking at the way Jesus died rather than fight, I'm inclined to wonder if absolute non-violence is actually the Christian calling, which humanity has fallen far short of. I don't have any answers, only questions. And more than a little bit of sadness at the state of the world. It's easy for me to sit here and say "Where does all this anger and hatred come from?" but I'm not living in extreme poverty with my children, friends, parents, relatives murdered before me as some in warring nations have over their lifetimes. I only know that anger and hatred and revenge can never be the solutions.

Some of the things Gandhi said in the movie, which may not be exact quotes from his life, which moved me include:
"The only devils are those in our own hearts, and that's where the battles should be fought."

"I am willing to die for this cause, but there is no cause for which I am willing to kill."

"Through our pain that we suffer, we will let them see their injustice."

"Truth is God, and God is truth."

"Love is the strongest force the world possesses, and yet it is the humblest imaginable."

I've been feeling a bit discombobulated lately. It's a big transition time for me and some decisions that are out of my hands are causing me to postpone other decisions that will depend on that outcome. It's crazy making time... it's not always easy to let go and let God.

No comments: