Thursday, October 23, 2008

appreciation for single moms

One of the sand mines along the San Jacinto River.
Copyright (c) 2007 Wendee Holtcamp



I seriously can't believe it's already Thursday evening and I haven't blogged since Monday. The week has flown by. I tell you what, I have a newfound appreciation for single moms who do not have the dad in the picture at all. Matt has been out of town for coming up on 2 weeks now, and man oh man I have been just absolutely swamped, running the kids to school and back every day, to track meets, confirmation, drum lessons, picking Savannah up from play practice, and driving over to take care of Matt's animals .... whew! That on top of my own work load not to mention cooking and making the kids lunches and cleaning up. Double whew! I need to clone myself! It makes me even more appreciative of the situation I have with Matt where we share duties and everything is very equal. I know it's not like that with a lot of single parents, and I'm very blessed. And I'll be very glad when he is back in town!!

So I gave the talk this morning on sand mining on the San Jacinto to my son's school and I think it was well received. I gave the talk to the entire school and it's hard to make a talk that entertains everywhere from pre-K to middle school! But the preschoolers were very well behaved! I was impressed.

Sunday evening I went to dinner with Carmine Stahl, a dear elderly friend of mine who flew in from Ohio to receive the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) lifetime achievement award (Charles Leonard Weddle Memorial Award). I'm not a member of NPSOT but I kept trying to find someone who was to nominate him, and one of the people who took my writing class was and she did the job for me! I wrote an article about him for Texas Parks & Wildlife Magazine, Papa Stahl, though we'd met on biological surveys before then, but we've become dear friends and now talk on the phone regularly. It was good to see him! Since he moved to Ohio a few months back I didn't know when I'd see him again! He's a wonderful person and it was nice to have him meet my kids. He prays for me and that means so much to me. I'll put some pictures up when I get a chance.

Tomorrow night is the Alanis Morissette concert. I'm so excited. She is my all-time favorite singer-songwriter. I went to her Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie Tour way back when with my friend Gia, and it was great. The kids are going to their school dance tomorrow night. I literally can not believe this week is almost over. It has flown by, and I am still feeling completely snowed under. I'm going to bed now!


No comments: