Friday, December 19, 2008

snowed in

Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words
And never stops at all.
--Emily Dickinson


Boy it's been a snowy, wintry wonderland since I've been here! We'll get one clear day then a boatload of snow. I am still in Tacoma and pondering whether to return to Portland, or my dad's log cabin (about an hour away from Portland) today or tomorrow. I leave home Monday morn super early so need to be in Portland by Sun night at the latest but a huge storm is predicted with ice and snow Saturday afternoon, so I definitely gotta get there before then. The downfall is that I may not get to see my dad again! The original plan was to spend this coming weekend with him while he's off work, but... we got a very rare snowfall event. Like a once in 20 years snowfall snowstorm event! Apparently the area only gets about 11" of snow a year (which is nothing, compared to Colorado and other snowy places!). It typically snows about once a year here in the coastal Pacific NW and it rarely sticks for long. So I picked a fine time to travel! However I am blown away by the beauty and peacefulness, and I'm cozy inside (except when we venture out to play!).

So I've just been hanging out with my cousin Holly, her husband Ross and their adorable two kids! They have an awesome home with a view of Puget Sound and it's very peaceful and cozy here. I am trying to get caught up on some work, such as teaching my writing class, which ends this weekend (a new one starts up Jan 3!).

My latest article is out, in Scientific American Magazine, Jan 2008. Check it out...Fury Over Conservationists Taking Fees from Developers: proposed megaport and a sea-turtle nesting beach collide within the group that maintains the endangered species list. Here's a PDF of the story that looks really cool with the sea turtle image.

We walked down to the Starbucks a few blocks away and it started snowing. We caught snowflakes on our tongue! :)

My niece making snow angels!

The "Snowhead" Ross and the kiddos made. It started to melt a bit when the weather warmed up, but then it snowed again yesterday and they made an even bigger one!
The view out their window. Looks like a Norman Rockwell painting!
My cousin Holly and I. We grew up together pretty much until I was about 8 and moved to my dad's!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG snowhead--> awesome :)