Sunday, January 01, 2006

draw near to God

Although there are numerous things I would like to resolve in 2006, ranging from financial to career goals to eating healthier and purchasing greener, I decided a few days ago that the only new year's resolution I am going to make is a singular resolution to draw closer to God, to really know God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit, and to love God more and let all else follow.

When Jesus was asked what is the most important commandment he answered, Love the Lord God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength (Mark 12:30) I find the way this is stated so beautiful. My reasoning behind my resolution is also rooted in Scripture in a part where Jesus is teaching about not worrying (which is definitely one of my weaknesses):

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and all these things will be given to you as well." Luke 12:27-34.

Because I vacillate between faith that everything will be ok and worry (reflected in my talk to my kids and friends), I feel I need to draw closer to God (Come near to God and he will come near to you, James 4:8). I can't manufacture a lack of anxiety on my own since faith itself comes from God -- as do all fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control, Galatians 5:22).

So I thought about how I could get to know God, to really know more. I have done a dozen Bible studies, and I have read a lot of the Bible, and a lot of sections or books multiple times but never cover to cover. So I have decided to read the Bible through from beginning to end, and really think about it all as I read. I'm taking notes in a journal as to my thoughts and I may start a blog on it.

3 comments:

Lisa Sullivan said...

I pray for you daily, my friend, and based on your thoughts today, I believe God has heard THIS prayer. :) I am so joyful...not happy...full of joy for you that you are seeking a closer relationship with Him. Yes, my dear, worry is not necessary. Peace & trusting in Him is. God Bless YOU in your journey. :)

Much love, Blessings, & joy to you from me, your far away friend. :)

p.s. Mike has been reading the Bible. He's into Kings, I believe. He took it upon himself, too! See...prayers ARE being answered. :)

Sus said...

I've often considered reading the thing from beginning to end but...and this is gonna sound weird....I need to buy one first. The entire relgion/spirituality collection was Dave's and so I've had to start from stratch. Then there's the whole "which version" to get.

Anonymous said...

I, too have been reflecting on what is really important in my life. I'm going to be a new grandmother in March and I am overjoyed! Can hardly wait! After turning 50, I realize that I need to focus on things I would like to accomplish in the next 30 yrs, if I live that long. My closest friend is battling cancer and I feel so helpless. I just try to talk to her as much as possible and listen. I do feel that prayer and faith can move mountains. The serenity prayer has helped me in my life, as well.

On a lighter note, I can't believe how your children have grown. The pictures are great. We've lived here 7 years now and it just seems like yesterday.