Tuesday, February 19, 2008

imagine my surprise...

When I walked in the room to see my darling daughter typing on my blog again. I would have deleted it but I laughed so hard when I read what she wrote I about fell off my chair. OK, really I was standing up but it just sounds better to say fell off my chair. Fell over?! I was laughing pretty hard. The video is kind of funny and kind of stupid! But what can I say, they're kids!

And imagine my surprise when I learned that one of my favorite words, transmogrify, is an actual factual word! I had always read it in Calvin & Hobbes cartoons but I thought it was made up. But I used it to describe the involuntary sex change and color change of a Mardi Gras wrasse in an article I'm writing and my spell checker didn't flash "no no no no!" I thought hmm, maybe this is really a word. And sure enough it means:

transmogrify \trans-MOG-ruh-fy\, transitive verb: To change into a different shape or to transform, often with bizarre or humorous effect.

One person in my writing critique group said I should get the verb of the year award for using transmogrify in my writing! LOL. More soon, I have to go get the blog-criminal from confirmation :)

No comments: