Tuesday, May 09, 2006

christianism

Check out this Time Magazine article - this guy is right on!
"My Problem with Christianism" by Andrew Sullivan.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1191826-1,00.html

This relates very much to my book I'm working on, The Fish Wars: How Evolution & Christianity Can Make Peace, and how Christians have taken over the intelligent design and anti-evolution "movement"... as if it were a Christian movement. As if there can BE a Christian "movement" other than teaching of the Way of love, peace, grace, truth.

"So let me suggest that we take back the word Christian while giving the religious right a new adjective: Christianist. Christianity, in this view, is simply a faith. Christianism is an ideology, politics, an ism."

AND

"That's what I dissent from, and I dissent from it as a Christian. I dissent from the political pollution of sincere, personal faith. I dissent most strongly from the attempt to argue that one party represents God and that the other doesn't....The word Christian belongs to no political party. It's time the quiet majority of believers took it back."

1 comment:

Peceli and Wendy's Blog said...

I say Amen to that! I would not have a bar of the Christian right kind of people, and can sit comfortably with a Hindu taxi-driver who builts a little white temple next to his house and is a vegetarian (though I am not) and says to live cleanly is his aim. I'm comfortable with Iona kind of music and liturgies and inclusiveness that focusses on justice and love. I'm a Uniting church minister's wife but a bit of a ratbag at times when I get enthusiastic about something!
W.