Saturday, November 19, 2005

making a day worth remembering

I am doing these weekly "Live Your Best Life" exercises (from Debbie Ford), and this week's is Seize the Day. Debbie in her audio-cd said something that really struck me, and it relates to today's exercise. She said that her husband reminded her that even though she was already dedicated to living her best life, and creating great days and years, she needed to slow down and pay attention to what was occurring each day or it would come and go and she would look back in a year and that particular day she may not be able to remember what she did.

If you think about it, we remember significant events. We remember weddings, funerals, divorce days, graduations, particular days of vacations (but even they blur together), but when you look back on your year how many really special days did you have? As a writer, and a avid journaler, I am inclined to remember more of my days than those who do not. But even I have many days that blur together so I am trying to make this an active part of my life.

Yesterday I had a wonderful day with the kids. Since I won't see them for a couple weeks I spent the day with them. It was Grandparents Day at their school and they had early release and my parents came down (mom and stepdad) so we went bowling (no, it is not one of my regular habits). I had a blast bowling - we were just all being silly and crazy. Well that would be myself and my kids. My parents were being my parents and telling us to settle down. Things haven't changed much since I was a kid! Then my parents went home, and I took my kids to see the new Harry Potter movie. We got some candy and went to the bookstore and I picked the kids up many times and swung them around and we played "1-2-3-4 let's have a thumb war" and it was great.

I tell my kids about one day when I was in high school and I was in a silly mood and I ran through the house like an ape scratching my armpits and saying "bananas! bananas!" in a really low gruff voice. Yes I was a little nuts! I had fun, though... I didn't tell my kids that My mom accused me of being on drugs when I did this... which I was not. I guess that was a day to remember since I remember it twenty years later!

I am going to go take a long hot bubble bath now, and do my bible study, since I will not have a hot bath (or running water) for the next 2 weeks...back to my roots to create my masterpiece :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I tell my kids about one day when I was in high school and I was in a silly mood and I ran through the house like an ape scratching my armpits and saying "bananas! bananas!" in a really low gruff voice. Yes I was a little nuts! I had fun, though... I didn't tell my kids that My mom accused me of being on drugs when I did this... which I was not..."

(Speaking sardonically), maybe the problem was that your mom was *not* on drugs, legal or otherwise!

Sounds like an attitude adjustment would have been appropriate at that point.

~ Tom in Deer Island, OR