Friday, June 13, 2008

parallel universe

only in the figments of my mind does this mythical creature exist who can set down his crown and hold up mirrors and see through walls and gently wipe tears and listen with hearts wide open torn but caring bleeding but blessing. ask how can i serve and love and care how can i not hurt you how can i listen how can we together we be greater than one and one. the mythical one. the unicorn. - (c) WH


So many of Alanis' lyrics on her latest album speak to me, right here, where I'm at. This first one is really beautiful. It's on the second CD/DVD set you can order off her website, I don't think it comes in the one you can buy in stores. The concept of an orchid really speaks to me - an unusual bloom, not like every flower but different, beautiful, unique, but needing special care for the plant to blossom.

(Photo Copyright 2007 Wendee Holtcamp, Orchid in Nepal)

I'm a sweet piece of work, well intentioned yet disturbed
wrongly label-ed and under-fed,
treated like a rose as an orchid

My friends, as they weigh in,
get understandably protective
They have a hard time being objective
So inside we cancel each other out

I'm a sweet piece of work,
well intentioned and unloved
enabled and misunderstood,
treated like a rose as an orchid

So I've lived in my blind spot
Thought myself usual when I'm not
And your garden is a nice spot
As long as it is brave and where you are

For this sweet piece of work,
high maintenance and deserted
I've been different and deserving,
treated like a rose as an orchid

- Orchid, Alanis Morissette


This next one is from Madness, also on the 2nd CD. It's also a beautiful ballad. I heard once, I think in a Beth Moore bible study that relationships allow us to learn and grow, they allow God to refine us as iron in the fire, and remove our impurities as they reveal themselves in the fire. Sometimes when there's pain, there's a thorn that needs removed. And the scratchiness and discomfort of the situation can still bring a more beautiful person out in the tomorrow, post-fire.


Oh, thank you
Much thanks for this bird's eye view
Oh, thank you
For your most generous triggers

It's been all too easy
To cross my arms and roll my eyes
The thought of dropping all arms
Leaves me terrified

Now I see the madness in me
Is brought out in the presence of you
Now I know the madness lives on
When you're not in the room
Though I'd love to blame you for all
I'd miss these moments of opportune
You simply brought this madness to light
And I should thank you

I'd have to give up knowing
And give up being right
You, inadvertent hero
You, angel in disguise

- Madness, Alanis Morissette

I declare a moratorium on things relationship
I declare a respite from the toils of liaison
I do need a breather from the flavors of entanglement
I declare a full time out from all things commitment

- Moratorium, Alanis Morissette

No comments: