Thursday, August 21, 2008

another day


Copyright (c) 2008 Wendee Holtcamp
Brooke and Chloe getting ice cream! This was from April when I visited last.



Today Jenny and I went to the mall and got some coffee and just browsed and talked, and then I came back and started transcribing tapes from my visit to the Epperson family in Colorado from Easter weekend. It's hard to believe it was that long ago I went there! This is a part of my book since Susan Epperson was the plaintiff in Epperson v Arkansas, the Supreme Court case that essentially made it illegal nationwide to prevent the teaching of evolution on religious grounds. Prior to that, the infamous 1925 Scopes Monkey Trial had de facto made it "ok" for states to pass laws saying that it was illegal to teach evolution. Only a few states did, but Arkansas was one of those states - where Susan lived and taught biology at the time.

The Eppersons are Presbyterians, a mainstream Protestant denomination that has a doctrine stating that evolution is the way humans came into being - a step beyond many church denoiminations that simply say there can be no conflict between science and faith. So I am including my discussion of their interesting story and my visit with them over Easter in my Chapter 2 and maybe other parts of the book too.

I've been reading A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle and am enjoying his chapter about the pain-body. I will blog some more about it but it's a really fascinating idea of how the past pain rears its ugly head into our present circumstances but by being aware of when this happens makes it "go away" to some extent. It can not tolerate the light of awareness. When people are unconscious, they can be dominated by the pain-body. Even when someone is conscious of it happening, it does not always go away immediately but awareness is the first step to change. Back to work!

No comments: